Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Living the life.

Hello to all ye fellow writers/authors out there,

Maybe I should start with a slight introduction and then I'll continue on. My name is Matthias, I'm younger than you are, unless you are from the year 1995 and up. I'm from the Netherlands but currently I'm enjoying life elsewhere.
Ever since I was eight years old I've been reading books nonstop. It started in my village library. I picked a book and read it. I really read it! You know how busy kids are and can't focus on one thing for all that long, especially books. But I read it and fell through the letters into the world on the pages. Ever since then I loved reading and it became my escape.
My reading became less frequent as school became tougher and homework was more than just 1+1=2.
Later we, my family and I, moved. We moved to a country with a different language, a rather dull one, and it killed my reading interest, besides I was too busy trying to assimilate into my new society.
Thank God I went to an international school and so I learned English. Now, I did know a little English as I was 11 years, however what I had learned was standard stuff from school such as, "How are you?" and the things I had learned from the MMORPG game Runescape. However my English skills trippled, probably quadrupled, in just the first year. That was when I talked to a guy my age who was reading a book about dragons, which he didn't like.
I had never read books about dragons or anything close to fantasy, so I offered to buy the book.
I immediately fell in love.

Eragon was my first fantasy book, and it didn't stop at that. I began to buy and borrow all these different books, didn't really matter what genre although fantasy was my preference, as long as it was a good read in my eyes.
I loved the variety of words in the English and as I read more my writing also improved. At first I was just writing my school assignments, but things changed when a girl in my class -who had read books like Eragon- said she wanted to become a published author.
Up until then it was like I didn't even know people needed to write books in order for others to read them.
At first I didn't give the idea in my head much notice but with age came the thought of the future and what I would want to become.
Businessman. Architect. Entrepreneur.
They all seemed like great jobs but I couldn't see myself in an office all day, even if the money was good. So slowly the thought of writing seemed to pop up, like a plant growing desperate to burst through the dull concrete. It began to grow and people seemed to enjoy the little creative writing I had started to do.

So here I am today wanting to become a published author. Now, I am well aware that the writing business is, sadly, a tough one and that I can't just skip college or Uni for writing so writing will stay a hobby, for now, until I can make a living out of writing.
Until then I intend to blog. I will give advice on writing and you can tag along on my journey.

1 comment: